Chester Heights Borough
Office of the Fire Marshal
The Fire Marshal is responsible for prescribing requirements and controls to safeguard life, property, and public welfare from the hazards of fire and explosions.
The Fire Marshal shall oversees the Bureau of Fire Prevention. Seminars on Fire Safety are taught throughout the year at Homeowners Association meetings, Corporate Offices and Small Business Association gatherings.
The Fire Marshal assures Fire Hydrants both private and public adhere to NFPA Code standards.
The Fire Marshal oversees Fire Drills in Schools and Office Buildings.
The Fire Marshal enforces the Chester Heights Fire Code #153
The sale of existing homes requires a Certificate of Occupancy. These are issued by the Building Code Officer. They are as follows:
BOROUGH OF CHESTER HEIGHTS
USE AND OCCUPANCY REQUIREMENTS
FIRE CODE # 153 & UCC 2003
OUTLINE FOR INSPECTION OF RESIDENTIAL, RENTALS & COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES
- SMOKE DETECTORS—STATICALLY [R & C] All smoke detectors will be tested using artificial smoke. No detectors over 10 years old allowed. CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR is required in the bedroom areas.
- PLACEMENT OF SMOKE DETECTORS—LOCATION AND NUMBER PER SQ. FT. (1200) [R] / (800) [C] Smoke detectors are required one per floor. If the layout of home is unusual, more are required. In new construction only, smoke detectors are required in all bedrooms. If smoke detectors are hard wired (110 volt) they must be replaced with same. No Substitutions! A battery operated unit cannot be used to replace a hard wire unit.
- HOUSE NUMBERS PROPERLY DISPLAYED AND CAN EASILY BE SEEN FROM STREET (4”) [R & C] The numbers must be placed on the street side and must be easily seen.
- STORAGE OF FLAMABLE OR HAZARDOUS MATERIALS (PAINTS, SOLVENTS, CLEANERS, GASOLINE) ETC. [R &C] Commercial properties must have metal storage lockers. Homeowners cannot store gasoline indoors. All home hazard materials must be disposed of properly prior to resale.
- DOOR EXITS WITH DOUBLE CYCLINDER LOCKS (EMERGENCY KEYS NEARBY) [R & C] PANIC HARDWARE REQUIRED ON ALL COMMERCIAL EXIT DOORS. A small hook with the key is acceptable.
- STORAGE OF FLAMABLE MATERIALS CLOSE TO HOUSE (TRASH, BUILDING MATERIALS LP GAS TANK (S) ETC. [R & C] Storage of Propane tanks indoors is prohibited.
- GATES, CHAINS AND OTHER METHODS OF RESTRICTING ACCESS TO ROADWAYS, DRIVEWAYS OR OTHER VEHICLE PATHS. [R & C] Emergency vehicles must have access to properties. Knox boxes are acceptable. Forms are available from the Fire Marshals Office.
- ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS, PROPERLY INSTALLED WITH UL (Underwriters Laboratories) STICKER ON MAIN BREAKER PANEL. NO EXPOSED WIRES OR OPEN BOXES. PROPER GROUNDING REQUIRED. GROUND FAULT INTERUPTERS (GFI) ARE REQUIRED WITHIN SIX FEET OF ALL WATER BASINS AND WET/DAMP AREAS ETC. [R & C]
- HEATING SYSTEMS / FIRE PLACE INSPECTION CERTIFICATE FROM CERTIFIED BUSINESS (PRESENT YEAR SERVICE STICKER) (OVERVIEW OF EXHAUST EXITS FROM HEATERS—MAIN, SPACE AND WATER) FUEL HAZARDS OF NATURAL GAS, HEATING OIL AND PROPANE. [R & C] Present Year Contract Certificates or Receipts are required to show preventative maintenance was performed on heaters and fireplaces. Cracks in Pre-fabricated fireplaces with panels of fireboard or firebrick cannot exceed one sixteenth of an inch in width. Replacement is necessary when this condition exist. Wood and Coal freestanding stoves require same.
- PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS (ACTIVE DATES) IN ALL RENTALS AND COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES [C] Fire extinguishers must have present year date on tags.
- FIRE ALARM SIGNALING SYSTEMS (CERTIFICATE OF WORKING ORDER FROM CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN OR BUSINESS) [R & C] Fire Alarm systems must have present year certificate of good working order from their monitoring companies.
- AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEMS (FOR FIRE PROTECTION PURPOSES WITH SUITABLE WATER SUPPLY AND SPRINKLER ALARM SYSTEM MUST HAVE CERTIFICATE OF GOOD WORKING ORDER FROM CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN OR BUSINESS) [C] / WHERE APPLICABLE
NOTE: THE ABOVE ITEMS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL PROPERTY SALE TRANSACTIONS. THE BASIS FOR ALL INSPECTIONS ARE IN ACCORDANCE WITH, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE CHESTER HEIGHTS FIRE CODE, THE 2009 INTERNATIONAL FIRE CODE, ALL NFPA CODES, INTERNATIONAL BUILDING CODE AND THE UCC OF PA.
The FEE IS $90.00 OLD/NEW CONSTRUCTION
All Checks are made payable to “Borough of Chester Heights” Remit to: PO Box 185 Chester Heights, Pa 19017
THIS OUTLINE IS SUBJECT TO PERIODIC UPDATES. ESTABLISHED DECEMBER 1998 & UCC- MAY 3, 2004
LATEST REVISION11/01/2020 MC [R] =RESIDENTIAL / [C] =COMMERCIAL
Any Questions! Please Call Mike Ciocco, Fire Marshal @ 610-558-1636
Requirements for New Home Construction
In addition to the above:
- Construction Plans must be submitted prior to building. The plans will be marked for location of smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, arc fault protectors, ground fault protectors, fire walls, address number and attic access requirements. An inspection of the electrical wiring shall be required prior to insulation and drywall installation.
Requirements for Non Residential / Business Construction
- Construction Plans must be submitted prior to any construction. The plans must be certified, stamped and signed by a Professional Engineer. All sprinkler plans and fire alarm plans must be accompanied with specifications, hardware to be used and flow rates.
Borough of Chester Heights
- Photocopies of current insurance Polices / Certificates on the builders and the demolition professionals.
- NFPA Code 495 shall apply
- Strict adherence to the International Fire Code 2003 edition. Key points of interest section 2705.
- S.D.S on all hazardous materials to be used.
- Our Fire Department is to be notified 48 hours in advance, not including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, of the type, quantity and location of the explosive materials at the site.
- Fire Company personnel will be on standby.
- All Federal, State, and County regulations shall apply.
- See fee schedule for permit application.
Borough of Chester Heights
Open Burning Regulations
- The open burning of construction material, land clearing debris and trash anywhere and the open burning of any public street, roadway, curb or gutter or street drain is strictly prohibited at all times.
- The open burning of leaves, small brush and twigs is permissible on Fridays and Saturdays from 7am to sunset. Requirements for burning are one pile no larger than 6 feet in diameter with an extinguisher nearby. g. A garden hose.
- All fires must be extinguished by sunset.
- The Fire Marshal may cancel open burning on any day when it would be permitted due to drought or other unsafe conditions. g. Windy
- Permits are required and can be purchase at the Chester Heights or Fire Marshal’s office. See Fee Schedule
Borough of Chester Heights
On Street Parking Regulations
Residential street widths being less than 24 feet are considered Fire Lanes and parking on the street is prohibited at all times. Vehicles found illegally parked will be ticketed and / or towed. These roads are Indian Springs Drive, Feather Lane and Station road.
Some residential areas of the Borough have street widths of 24 feet. When vehicles are parked on both sides of the street in the same area, emergency vehicles may not be able to pass between them.
The following guidelines can help when hosting a social event at your residence. Ask your guest to follow these rules.
- Park all vehicles on the same side of the street.
- Park to allow emergency vehicles to maneuver at intersections.
- No parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant. This is prohibited by the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code Title 75.
Secured Key Access:
Any building other than a residential building which has a fire alarm system or other fire protection system shall provide a secure key box installed in a location accessible to the Fire Company in case of an emergency. This box shall contain keys to the fire alarm panel (s), building access, and all other keys needed to gain access to the building and its systems or other means of access acceptable to the Fire Marshal.
Knox Box forms are available from the Fire Marshal.
U & O Real Estate Certification-Pass or Fail $90.00 Note: If the inspection resulted in a FAILURE
A re-inspection fee shall apply. $90.00
Plan review for commercial, industrial, residential or
Institutional applications. $70.00 hr.
Minimum charge $35.00 hr.
Then billed in 15 minute increments thereafter.
On Site Inspections:
Fire Safety Inspections (required every two years)
For all existing Commercial Businesses Fee .02 cents per sq foot
Minimum inspection fee $150.00
New Construction (Commercial Use) $.05 per sq foot
New Construction (Residential Use) over 3000sq ft $.05 per sq foot
Note: If an On Site inspection results in a failure a
Re-inspection fee shall apply equal to the first inspection
Periodic (every two years) inspection of “Rental Units”–$90.00 ea.
Open Burning permits:
$5.00 per day or $20 per month.
False Alarm Fees:
On the Third false alarm a fee of $100.00 shall be billed.
After four false alarms a fee of $200.00 shall be billed.
After five false alarms or more in a 12 month period, a fee of $300.00 shall be billed for each consecutive false alarm.
Blasting fees: $100.00 per day
The fine for parking citations paid within 5 days of issue shall be $35.00. If the citation is not paid within 5 days of issue, the fine shall be $50.00
In case of a vehicle being towed, all such fines shall be in addition to the towing and storage charge of the Borough’s towing contractor.
Unless otherwise specified, all fines shall be paid to the Borough of Chester Heights within (10) days of being billed by the Fire Marshal.
Please remit payment to: PO Box 185 Chester Heights, PA 19017